By Lenny Balston, 29 Jul 2020
These past few months have been strange for all, and while a lot of what we’ve all been going through has been stressful and overwhelming at times, there’s also been a slowing down.
Like many others I’ve enjoyed the gentler pace and having fewer choices to make.
Since the start of lock down at the end of March I’ve worn only 30 items in my wardrobe (excluding sleepwear and underwear). Yes, I fully embraced lounge wear on most days.
This was not an intentional exercise in minimalism but rather a desire to keep things simple.
Full disclosure, many of the items I own are super old and no longer available to purchase so my links and pics are of items that are as close as possible to what I’ve been wearing.
Coming up tops
I confess, I love wearing black all year round and find it super versatile.
- Black top - the scoop neck and sleeve detail of this sustainable EcoVera top is really flattering and it's easy to dress up or down.
- The #IQuitFastFashion t-shirt - ethically made from organic cotton, this tee is not available for sale, but you can win one in our monthly subscriber draw.
- Black v-neck tee - a classic v-neck in 100% organic cotton.
A little injection of colour.
4. Black sweatshirt - my go to top on cooler days, this organic cotton sweatshirt is available in seven neutral colours.
5. Breton top - a long sleeve boxy shape Breton top made from heavy weight organic cotton is perfect for colder days.
6. Red tee - for a dose of colour, this vegan top made from Tencel and organic cotton is fab and I like the tie detail at the waist.
Comfort is a priority, so elasticated trousers have featured heavily in my weekly rotation. The jeans have primarily been worn on trips out, i.e. grocery shopping or meeting friends for socially distanced drinks in the park.
7. Navy sweatpants - these organic cotton wide leg sweat pants feel relaxed without being sloppy.
8. Skinny blue jeans - a wardrobe staple, these high waisted vegan skinny jeans are made from recycled jeans and organic cotton.
9. Grey sweatpants - organic cotton trousers, the zip detail at the ankle make these feel a bit smarter than the typical sweatpants.
Printed trousers and shorts
Light weight trousers and shorts are fab for hotter weather.
10. Printed trousers - comfy and super soft vegan trousers with pockets and an elasticated waist.
11. Printed shorts - smart graphite grey printed shorts with a paper bag waist created from modal and bamboo fabric.
Keeping warm on the cooler days and evenings
13. Green sweater - this organic cotton sweater was a birthday pressie in my fave colour (green), and works well with pretty much everything else in my lock down wardrobe.
14. Hoodie - a big organic cotton hoodie with contrast seam for when I want to lie low.
15. Great big jumper - a cosy wool jumper with a funnel neck has been great for evenings spent outdoors.
16. Long cardigan - a cardigan I can throw on and off during a desk bound work day is a must for me. This one is made from organic cotton and wool.
A brief flirtation with Joe Wicks
Yes, I succumbed and joined the Joe Wicks brigade.
17. Basic vest top - a vegan organic cotton vest made from certified organic cotton.
18. Zip up hoodie - my organic cotton hoodie in grenadine has been perfect for a post workout meditation.
19. Leggings - full length organic cotton leggings in black.
It’s comfort all the way for my feet.
20. Workout shoes - vegan running shoes which are great for a run, walk or workout and made from recycled materials.
21. Charcoal slips on shoes - these super comfy slip on shoes are easily the most worn item in my wardrobe.
22. Flip flops - natural rubber flip flips which are fully biodegradable and recyclable.
All dressed up and staying in
This combo was worn only once for Glam up and give combined with Zoom drinks with friends.
24. Smart navy dress - a knee length navy dress, received plenty wear in my previous office based job.
25. Black heels - vegan slingback kitten heels are just the right height when comfort is a priority.
26. Sunglasses - essential for sunny days, these over-sized black sunglasses have a frame produced from wasted off-cut materials used in the manufacture of other frames.
27. Earrings - my go to accessory when I want to look like I made an effort, these brass drop earrings are handmade and fair trade.
A trio of bags
Bags of many sizes.
28 . Large cross-body bag - my everyday bag is a cavernous number that can hold all my essentials, shopping bags, umbrella, notebook, pens and tablet, similar to this vegan reporter bag created from recycled materials.
29. Small backpack - my choice of bag for day trips, this vegan mini backpack in teal (loads more gorgeous colours available) is made from organic cotton and has enough room for essentials and a side pocket for a water bottle.
30. Small cross-body bag - when I don't want to be weighed down and only need my a few essentials a little cross-body bag usually does the trick.
Have you been dressing with less during lock down? Let us know on Instagram.